This is a spoiler-free review!
In an attempt to tackle the never-ending TBR pile that lives within my Kindle app, I finally thought it was time to crack this one open, considering I downloaded it more than a year ago on a Stuff Your Kindle spree. And after reading this, I honestly wish I made a different decision - I do not even know how to begin this review. I do not even know if I can put into words how much I just simply did not enjoy reading this book, but nevertheless, I will try my very best.
Considering this was a relatively short book coming in just over three hundred pages, I had my expectations managed on how much plot development we would actually see happen on page, and I have to say that I was surprised. I went into this book thinking it would be the generic dark romance book that put smut over plot, but was thrown in for a 180 and found it was the over way around. That being said, and this may be one of the first times I have said this - I think the book suffered for it. I wanted to see the passion between Daze and Frey develop as the book went on, but instead I found myself rolling my eyes at Frey's way of thinking and Daze's flat out stupidity. Things were escalating far too quickly and even though I plowed through the first half of the book quickly, it felt like hours.
Frey presented more like a sixteen-year-old rather than someone in their twenties, and maybe that is because of her upbringing and sheltered life with a preacher slash politician as a father. She felt incredibly naive for someone who has a heavy past, and yet she simply seems to throw herself in dangerous situations without a second thought. Once she is in these situations is when she decides to finally turn on her brain, so I will give her that at least. I just wish she was more forward or at least aware of her surroundings rather than living in bliss. Perhaps if Daze decided to literally reveal any piece of information to her, a lot of these issues could have been avoided. Daze's characterization just was not appealing to me in the slightest and I could not see the draw that Frey had towards him.
The storytelling felt chopping and with no dual perspective, readers are left only in Frey's mind - the story likely would have benefitted if we were given Daze's perspective of events. It would have at least explored the more "dangerous" and "dark" aspects of the story. This is a super quick read that can frankly be used as a filler book or bridge in between longer reads. If I did not already have another book lined up and ready to go, I fear that this book would have sent me into a reading slump. Will I continue with Daze and Frey's story? Maybe, if I ever find myself wanting to see it through. But for now, I can live with the cliffhanger and move on with my next read without a second thought.
You can add Sinful Saint on Goodreads now, and follow the author to stay up to date on releases and publications.



No comments:
Post a Comment