Monday, August 22, 2016

The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan Review


The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

I have always been a fan of Rick Riordan's novels, ever since I picked up Percy Jackson and the Olympians in fourth grade. It only took me nearly two months to finish this book, but I've finally made it through the finish line. I don't know what it was about this book, but I kept getting distracted by other things while reading it, causing me to forget that the book was even a thing that I could open and read. I really enjoyed all the characters - especially Magnus, with his supreme sass and shifty remarks. There were no specific problems with any of the characters that didn't benefit their development or the plot line itself. Oh, and all the Game of Thrones references thrown into the mix - thanks Rick :) But I wasn't as blown away by this series as much as I was when I read Percy Jackson and the Olympians; take it, that was about eight years ago, but I can still remember all the feelings that were brought up with reading those emotional rollercoasters *ahem* books. The world for me was a little hard to get in to, maybe because I wasn't really passionate about reading the book when I first started it, but as I read on, I was roped in as I always am with Rick's books, and had powered through the first third of the book without even realizing it. You definitely need to be in the mood to read a Rick Riordan book, and can't just wake up one day and be like "Oh jeez, I guess I'll read this book today and see how it goes." No. Don't do that. I beg of you, please do not do that. It will take away from the book because you will feel as if you are pushing yourself to read this. *rant over* Overall, this was such an interesting story and I can really commemorate Rick on his world building and attention to detail throughout the book. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is already a fan of Rick Riordan's writing as well as fans of The 100 by Kass Morgan and City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I will definitely be finishing this series and will be reading The Trials of Apollo series by Rick as well. Once you're hooked on Riordan, there's no turning back ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment