This is starting to become a personal form of torture... I simply need to stop reading these books but I am in too deep and have to see it to the very end. After the lackluster events of the second installment, my hopes were even lower going into this book - the writing unfortunately shows no signs of improving and the pacing still feels like I am being jerked between directions, with no clear goal that seems fighting for.
I feel as though I have given these characters so many chances to try and charm me, and yet every page continues to show me that it simply will not be happening. Grace continues to baffle me as she is incapable to drawing readers in and her problem-solving skills are comparable to a child. I frankly do not care about her any longer and can only hope she gains some common sense in the near future. Her choices often take a vast majority of overthinking before being implemented, or she has to make a decision in the very last moment, making her appear either ill-prepared or just not up to the task.
Jared at least has some interesting characters that keeps readers mildly entertained, and considering his plot lines are more "intense" and have more dire consequences, his perspective chapters outweigh Grace's by a mile. That being said, his story still does not have me on the edge of my seat and I find myself wishing the maturity level of this series would increase so at least the action scenes would be more entertaining. The lack of development of any fight scenes or more intensity when the stakes are supposed to be high dampens the reading experience.
I am finding it harder after each book to be able to express my opinions into words - there is only so much I can say and reiterate before I feel as though there is simply nothing else to say. It is a rare occurrence that I have found myself at a lack of words, but I just cannot muster up anything beyond what I have divulged into in my reviews for the two previous books. The Christian "mythology" and religious aspect would be more alluring if it was something that we had not seen before, but with so many books utilizing fallen angels in the height of the 2000s and 2010s, this series is not measuring up to the detail that those other books were able to summon. At this point, I do not even know how many books I have left in this series, but the one thing I am certain on is that I will be grateful once it is over.
You can add Forgiven on Goodreads now, and follow the author to stay up to date on releases and publications.



No comments:
Post a Comment